Sunday 13 May 2012

the not-so-mummy skirt

After the success with fitted-almost-pencil skirt, I thought I give the pattern another go, but this time with a stretch fabric. I had this off-white stretchy corduroy a while, hence the title not-so-mummy, because off-white or any kind of white is not a mum's friend (I already have chocolate stains from an enthusiastic hug on it). It was a remnant from Spotlight decor fabric for exactly one dollar, so I thought if it fails I haven't lost much there.

I looked through all my books for instructions on how to sew with knits or stretch fabrics and the only note I found in the Sew Everything book was that it is not recommended for beginners. Well, thanks for that. Anyway that Internet seemed to repeat 'ballpoint needle' and 'zigzag stitch' over and over, so I cut it out and practised on the left overs. I think it looks quite good :-)




This time I still doubled up the yoke, but I also used some lightweight interfacing on the yoke. I used the actual overlocker stitch this time, but did this after I sewed the seams together is a zigzag stitch. For some reason the zipper gets stuck occasionally and in a few days I might have a closer look to figure out why. The back and front  yoke (where they meet on the side) still don't line up inside (probably because I am not as strict with the seam allowances as I should be), but nobody can see that bit so never mind.



I also omitted the side slits this time and made it less fitted, so more of an A-line shape. It is also shorter by about 3 inches. The hem line was perhaps the trickiest bit. It experiences quite a bit of stretching whilst I move about. I did it in the lingerie stitch first time around, but whilst it was really stretchy, I didn't really like the look. I then remembered that on one web page a lady was explaining what to do if your machine doesn't have a zigzag stitch. So I picked a straight stitch with a slightly longer stitch length and sewed the hem whilst stretching it. It worked and looks beautifully.

So now I am debating what to do next. ANOTHER skirt or perhaps a try of Cation Designs' Easiest DIY Maxi Dress Ever. Sew many choices :-)

2 comments:

  1. Corduroy is great in the cold. Glad you bought white and not black. You'll get lots of wear from this skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "Kids" are 18 and 21, so I've just started wearing white and cream again after a long period when an ability to hide chocolate stains was the main selection criteria for fabric. Good on you for bravely going for a white skirt while they're still young

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear what you think, but do try to be nice as this is what I do for fun and enjoyment :-)