Friday 4 January 2013

Goodbye 2012 and Hello 2013

Well, it's done ... the sewing machine is not gathering dust anymore and I actually managed to sew some stuff.

  • For the son:                     5 shorts, 3 PJ pants, 1 dressing gown, 1 elephant
  • For the daughter:             3 skirts, 2 dresses, 1 cloak, 2 elephants
  • For myself:                      3 skirts, 4 tops, 1 sleep mask
  • For the husband:             1 sleep mask
  • For the house:                  3 pillow cases, 1 duvet cover
  • For the sewing machine: 1 sewing machine cover, 1 needle cushion

all together 33 items
 
 
Before I started sewing I hadn't realised the amount of time it takes. Doing something in 2 hours is really quick (for sewing), but to carve 2 hours out of my already rather full schedule seems like a mountainous task until I broke it down in both time slots and tasks. I also realised that I am a bit like a magpie and what love most about sewing is buying things for sewing ... fabric, patterns, notions ... more more more ... its rather chaotic and a bit off putting actually.
 
 
This year I am going to try to do things differently:
 
  1. I will reduce my fabric collection to the size of the toy box that I already have. i.e. I shall not buy more plastic containers or stuff it into suit cases or just leave it under the bed
  2. In order to achieve point one I shall not buy any fabric or patterns until my birthday in September.
  3. Furthermore I shall stop trying to keep every scrap of fabric. Once I have finished a project and there is substantial fabric left, then fine, but 15cm will really not do much good anywhere.
  4. I will have 2 days each week when my youngest is in Kindy, so during those days I will try to sew.
  5. I will not let WIPs accumulate randomly
  6. I also want to conquer button holes
  7. I shall blog at least once a week (hopefully we will have a better Internet connection soon)
 
In terms of projects I am hoping to do the Hollyburn skirt and the Thurlow trousers (maybe) from Sewaholic. I want to sew some more practical shirts, maybe another one of the Dolman sleeve tops or an Ariadne tunic.
 
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE :-)
 


3 comments:

  1. That is a very impressive list that you've managed to make. I totally understand the 'stash' issue - I started to feel overwhelmed by the stuff I'd acquired rather than inspired by it - I too am going for the 'use it up' approach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have an automatic buttonhole foot? I was worried that they'd be hard, but that foot made buttonholes a piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just to let you know I've nominated you for a Liebster Award, really enjoying your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear what you think, but do try to be nice as this is what I do for fun and enjoyment :-)